D-FORD DESIGN STRATEGY DIRECTOR, AUTOMOTIVE AND MOBILITY
Company: Ford Motor Company
Posted on: January 8, 2021
DearbornFord Motor CompanyDesignJob Description &
QualificationsDESIGN STRATEGYThe purpose of the Design Strategy
Director is to deeply understand and design for current and future
customers of the Enterprise Product Line Management (EPLM)
strategic initiative, including Battery Electric Vehicle,
Commercial vehicles, Trucks, Compact trucks, Icons, Passenger
vehicle/utilities, Luxury, and Emerging Markets.As a Design
Strategy Director, you will . . .
- Partner with the Customer Pathfinder (Marketing) and Chief
Strategist team members, to define and prioritize the strategic
portfolio for the EPLM category.
- Define strategic briefs and guide global and local
multidisciplinary teams through project execution: define the
problem and opportunity, define research strategy to better
understand target customer segments, lead synthesis and insights
sessions with key stakeholders, translate insights into prototypes
with extended team members (e.g. engineers, marketing, strategy,
planning, finance), and define assumptions and plans to test new
concepts and prototypes for implementation.
- Be comfortable with complexity-finding opportunities and clear
paths in ambiguous environments. You're comfortable facilitating
senior stakeholder discussions.
- Have a passion for the business side of creative solutions and
can meet the organization where it's at in managing change in a
- Embody our culture and steward others in the direction of our
shared values and ways of working inside the lab and with Ford. You
have patience to mentor and coach others through difficult
challenges and can serve as a trusted advisor to senior
- You will report to the Lab Director (Palo Alto, London,
Shanghai) or Senior Design Strategy Director (Detroit) but we're a
pretty flat organization inside the lab, so would hope you'd leave
your title at the door.Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in an arts subject, Fine Arts, Engineering,
Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Philosophy or
- 8+ years work experience.
- 2+ years experience applying human-centered design approaches,
methods and tools to solve complex problems.
- 2+ years leadership experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree in Engineering or design-related equivalent
- 2+ years' experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Passionate about automotive and mobility industry.
- Experience of working in or with creative cultures.
- Experience of working in large, corporate environments.
- Experience of managing multiple stakeholders across complex
- Experience of presenting to executive audiences.JOINING D-FORDA
bit about usWe're in the midst of the biggest change the automotive
industry has ever seen.Just as cars changed the world over the last
century - creating the driver, highways, gas stations, and malls -
self-driving cars, electric powertrains, and connected vehicles
will radically reshape how we live, work, and play, our cities and
society themselves, in the next hundred years.At D-Ford, you'll be
at the heart of creating that future. You'll be at the cutting edge
of Ford's most strategically critical work, designing people and
society's needs into the heart of our next generation of products,
services and experiences.You'll also be designing at scale. Every
day, Ford's vehicles and services support millions of people around
the world. So, at D-Ford, we're not just inventing the future,
we're operationalizing it, to help all those people move through
their lives, better.OUR PURPOSEWe drive human progress through
empathy, creativity and design.OUR VALUESOur values are our guiding
light, and the conscience for our work, and our people. We're
looking for people who share this way of being - you don't need to
be convinced of it, you just get it:
- ZOOM OUTWe are curious about the world, designing systems and
connections that enable people to move more freely.
- AMPLIFY OTHERS' VOICESWe are inspired by the people around us,
bringing their unique stories to the forefront of our designs.
- PUSH THE EDGEWe provoke new ways of thinking about tomorrow's
toughest design challenges, while grounded in what's possible.
- GET SCRAPPYWe build in the open, rigorously testing, iterating
and evolving our ideas with others.
- BRIDGE THE GAPWe radically collaborate across teams,
geographies, and philosophies, uncovering new insights to
- WILD CARDOur strength comes from bringing our whole selves to
the community-from introspective to playful or quirky. What will
you bring?BRING YOUR TWe don't hire "Design Thinkers." We hire
- Have deep expertise in a craft
- Are comfortable working in relatively flat and dynamic
- Are passionate to work on ambiguous and complex future
- Have a collaborative and empathetic mindset to solve problems
with teams across FordAlongside everyone's role as a designer of
world class design content, you will also be expected to contribute
to a range of communities to maintain our creative culture. We call
these Community Hats.They can range from stewarding the lab,
leading a workshop, mentoring others, contributing to publications,
hosting a tour with executives, bringing your maker skills to build
prototypes, or leading your craft in a global community of
like-minded designers.These global communities will ensure that we
stay connected across the organization, and constantly push the
impact of what we do. They can act as additional areas of
responsibility, helping to push careers in different directions.We
have four global labs: Palo Alto, Detroit, London and soon,
Shanghai.You'll be part of a growing organization in the heart of
Ford's Product Development Center to drive innovation from the
inside out.WORKING AT FORDThe distance between imagination and ---
creation. It can be measured in years of innovation, or in moments
of brilliance. When you join the Ford team discover all the
benefits, rewards and development opportunities you'd expect from a
diverse global leader. You'll become part of a team that is already
leading the way, with ingenious solutions and attainable products -
and it is always ready to go further.Candidates for positions with
Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United
States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility
will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not
available for this position, TN visa holders may be considered.Ford
Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a
culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability status or protected veteran status.Auto req
ID35735BRSkill TeamEnterprise Product Line Management
Keywords: Ford Motor Company, Dearborn , D-FORD DESIGN STRATEGY DIRECTOR, AUTOMOTIVE AND MOBILITY, Executive , Dearborn, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!